Sunday, March 4, 2012

Barcelona & the Family

I truly feel blessed. I've never had such amazing luck before... the opportunity to go to Spain was something I knew I couldn't turn down but I never expected to see as much as I have. The experience thus far has been priceless, and I can't thank my family, and everyone involved enough for making this possible. last week, I got the opportunity to fly to Barcelona, which is an hour away by plane, where I met up with my family after a solid 2 months of separation.

Both of my families met up in an Italian restaurant, and they talked non stop well into midnight, it felt so good to be reunited with them again. My brother and I even sort of got along.. it was a rare occurrence... shows what 2 months of not being annoyed by your brother can do to you.
For the next 3 days, we explored the wonderful city of Barcelona, using nothing but our feet and La Metro to get around...

First, we set off to explore the Segrada Familia, a super huge miraculously elaborate cathedral designed by Gaudi... Even well after his death the Cathedral is still under construction, and it probably won't be finished in my lifetime.. but let me tell you, this cathedral was magnificent.




This was the ceiling, it reminded me of a kaleidoscopic.. it was meant to imitate a forest canopy, the pillars imitate palm trees, and the light resembles the sun peeping through the thicket of leaves.


All right so the order is all messed up, but after the 3 days in Barcelona we flew back to Seville, where I showed my family around the city.



This is at the Alcazar, which I already posted a ton of pictures of...



These fish were so wierd... the gathered around where we were standing and started gulping the air, I'm pretty sure this was their "begging" face. Dogs are way cuter.


...and fast forward to a night strolling around Seville with both of my families at a tapa bar.



Look! We aren't trying to push each other into the water!


this is the Jamon (ham), which is practically a religion here... the pigs are raised on open fields eating a diet of acorns and running free, then they're killed, soaked in salt water, then hung to dry for 2 years before being carefully shaved and served for hungry Spaniards to enjoy.


The Cathedral at night.. it's the 3rd largest in the world... if you count the tower (la Giralda) it would be the first, but it was built by the Arabs, so it doesn't count...


The Apartment we stayed in!


The streets were very narrow... 


Mom trying on the hair clips for La Ferria



The fans..



Okay, back to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Please, just admire the attractiveness of my brother.






La Metro


It wouldn't be right without another random parade..


The Paella we had for lunch


The first time I saw the Mediterranean Sea 


soaking up the sun



Some guy juggling


Who needs a car when you have this guy?


Okay, just look at how classy this McDonald's is. Come on America...


Another building built by Gaudi



It was meant to resemble bones and skulls...


Sevi, me, Paco (my host dad) and Laura




and now it's day 2 in barcelona and we are walking, or climbing/crawling up a huge hill to Gaudi Park




Aww, we kinda look normal..


Meant to imitate waves


When it rains, jets of water poor from the lion's mouth.



Inspired by the gingerbread houses in Hansel and Gretel




Yet another fabulous example of Sevi's undeniable good looks.


A bit easier on the the eyes... a castle in the distance


My future care.


I liked the contrast in the colors.



You guessed it, another Gaudi building.


A typical tapa menu


A cool sculpture.


That Sevi had to climb of course...



The old city...


The Cathedral of Barcelona


In the cathedral, there are several alters, and to honor them, you light a candle... but this is the 21st century, so instead thy use LED candles, just pop in a few Euros, and your candle lights up. 


It was kind alike facebook likes, some alters had lots f candles, other, not so popular...


These things were really, really old.



This was the Baroque time, ridiculously over the top



When we went out for dinner, Sevi was crazing a good ol' fashioned hamburger unfortunately, the hamburgers in Barcelona look a little different...


The next day, we went for a road trip along the countryside, we came across an old fortress





We found ourselves in the town of Rosa, along the coastline. Who needs Hawaii when you have Spain?


There were sea urchins along the shore.




Caste by the sea <3


And back to the Cathedral in Seville...




La Giralda 


That's all 100% real gold, rubies, emeralds, etc.


See that guys? Jesus was in Rhode Island.


This was Christopher Colombus's tomb. He didn't deserve this kind of burial. he should be with all the Tanu's.


The we climbed La Giralda, there were a total of 34 flights of ramps we climbed



The top!





The entrance to the Cathedral


Plaza de Espana, or the palace were star wars was filmed. Sevi was excited.



Orense, the region were my great grandfather was from.



My dad probably consumed 20 espresso's by the end of the trip.


Tapas!

No comments:

Post a Comment