Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recording... and Life

As you know, I'm apart of a "band" at my school, and these kids are seriously talented. So talented in fact, that they went to a professional recording studio to record 5 of their songs. Unfortunately for them (but fortunate for me), I was included. See, the thing is, I'm not really that great at singing. I can follow a tune, but I'm nothing special... I just figured that band was a much better elective than studying in the library, and alas I was given a microphone and did my best to sing along with the tunes. I had a lot of fun, but things got serious when I realized I had to sing by myself.

Last Friday, we got to miss school (and an exam) to go to the recording studio. It was on a college campus, equipped with weird square sound boxes all over the wall, the infamous soundproof room for recording with (one) microphone and head phones, a big techy mac desktop computer, a bunch of head phones and like 6 guys who all had piercing for some reason controlling the computer and all the other techy aspects of it. See, as I realized, recording is much more complicated than it seems.

After a good hour of biting my nails and watching my band mates sing courageously one by one in the sound proof room, and listening to their fabulous voices coming through the speaker, it was my turn to go in. My heart was beating way too fast, and there was pretty much three thoughts going through my head:
1) I can't do this.
2) I can't sing.
3) I'm going to embarrass myself in front of my band and these sketchy techy dudes.

Encouraging huh?

But I had to shut my eyes and clear my mind. These thoughts would only make me do worse. And very few people get the opportunity to record in a professional studio, and this kind of opportunity doesn't come along very often. So I went for it. I told the butterflies in my stomach to take a hike, and I put the headphones on and took a deep breath.

And then I sang.
I didn't look at any of the faces, I just did my best to follow the tune. And it was kind of awesome. Well, I mean it felt awesome. I'm pretty sure my voice sounded better to myself than it did in real life,  but in total it only took about 2 minutes, and then I was done. When I sat down I realized my legs were shaking, and that a strange sense of jittery-ness had taken over my body.

It was nerve wracking, but I'm glad I did it. And sorry I didn't think to bring my camera, that was my only regret for the day. So instead, I hope my descriptions serve as a good idea of what went down last Friday.

We get the CD all done and edited on Monday, and if there's a way for me to somehow put it on my blog, I will...

Anyways, while I was having lunch with my family about a half hour ago, it hit me. I only have one week and 2 days left here. Only 7 school days before I take off for Morocco, and then fly home. It's absolutely insane, I always felt like I was gonna be here for such a long time, I'd lost track, and my "long time" quickly became 9 days ( + 7 more in Morocco). Crazyness.
I have such mixed feelings about coming back. Initially when I got here, everything was new and different, and I was very nostalgic for my old home and normal way of life. But with any situation, I adapted, I became accustomed to my life here, and now I'm used to it. I'm gonna have to go back to real life soon. Cold weather, high school, my old house.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and friends like crazy. I just hate it when something so wonderful has to come to an end. But the adventure we're going to have in Rhode Island is a new beginning.
I'm going to be sharing my life with Laura, and showing her and her other friends around, introducing her to our way of living. In truth, nothing would ever be the same when intensives started. No more normal school. Cause, see, when intensives started, they were a weird much funner alternative to normal school, then we had winter break, then when we all came back to school, I didn't even have to do my work, cause, well I was going to Spain. And now, when I return to Rhode Island, I'll be sharing my life with Laura. And in the blink of an eye, those three months will fly by, she'll fly back to Spain, and the it'll be summer, and I'll be on my way back to Miami, where my life will change again, for better or worse.

Jeez, this is becoming a really long post, I appreciate those who haven't given up reading this out of boar-dome, but yeah, I've been thinking a lot about life in general lately, and I had an epiphany the other day.... I decided two things I want to study in college! I want to study business and psychology. And I want to somehow own my own cafe/bakery with my dad, and be a social psychologist at the same time, with my own office, and flexible hours helping make people feel better and get through their problems, and with my free time I'll volunteer at the Animal Shelter. But before all this, I'm backpacking around Europe with my best friends. That's my little goal right now and who knows, I'll probably change my mind once my future comes into better perspective.
But for now, I'll just have to see were life takes me.

Adios! And See you soon :)



.

No comments:

Post a Comment