Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hell at Heathrow

Someone was watching over us... 
It really was a miracle that we made the flight (in Heathrow).


Here's what Happened:
We got on board. We felt excited. We'd just said goodbye to our families, and were off. I got butterflies when we took off.
We got a special "vegetarian breakfast" consisting of a vegan whole wheat pancake and raspberry jam, cause ya know, us vegetarians only eat whole wheat vegan pancakes. 
The time ticked by, 
 ...when I noticed something was missing: my ipod. This was clearly an omen.
I searched and searched, but it was no were to be found. The flight attendant said as soon as we landed we would "tear up the place and find it"
well, we landed, and we sure as hell teared up the place, with the help of like 6 flight attendants, it was quite a sight. but alas, my Ipod was gone :(
I moved on and we set off for customs.

oh.my.god.


So we walked and walked and walked and finally found our way into... hell, or as some call it, customs.
There were 600 lines, and I wans't sure which to go into, so I asked a lady.
"We're from America, which line do we go into?" I said, she kinda glared at me and pointed to a line. I felt stupid.
We got in line and waited. We shuffled along, we felt hopeful.  That quickly faded when we saw someone pass out futher up the line.
She just collapsed, I guess from waiting so long, no one really knew. 
She was Asian, most people in our line where. There where
 so.
 many.
 people, 
from so may places, speaking so many languages, it was truly amazing. 
That was my first little dose of culture shock.


Our bags suddenly weighed 300 pounds, and jumping 5 hours was starting to set in, I decided to kick my bag along...




After an agonizing 2 hours, we made it to the desk, where we were interrogated. 
"Hello, what brings you to London?" He asked
"We're apart of a foreign exchange program"
Him: "Oh, do you have a letter, as proof?"
Us: "...uhh, no"
Him: "How am I supposed to believe you?"
Us: "We have our ticket to Madrid, where we're going to meet our host families."
Him: "Can I see your ticket?"
I search my purse
Him: "oh, here, it's in your passport, what were you looking for in your purse?"
In my head: my gun, obviously.
Me:"oh, I forgot it was in there."
He interrogated us further but eventually he stamped our passports and we ran off with relief. That was customs... our flight however, was another adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment